Who are we?
St. Marcellinus Catholic Church was founded in the year 1957, in the Rosewood and Bandini areas in East Los Angeles, which was incorporated to the City of Commerce.
The first Sacraments were humbly celebrated in Kelly’s restaurant, at the corner of Washington and Atlantic Blvd. until land for the parish was acquired. The first two classrooms and the old bathrooms were built were they currently are, by Rev. Thomas Hayes, Founder Pastor.
Msgr. Peter Bullum became the second Pastor in 1971. For a few months in 1984, Msgr. Peter E. Garcia became Pastor of St. Marcellinus, but he was replaced at the beginning of 1985 by Fr. Jules Mayer who served for more than 22 years.
Doctor Humberto Ramos, PhD was appointed Parish Life Director on August 15th, 2007, without a resident priest. Under his leadership and with the help of a group of priests (Fr. Luis Valbuena, OMI Msgr. Henry Gómez, Fr. Ed Soto and others), Deacons (Bill Land and Armando Garcia), and committed leaders of the Parish, Dr. Ramos began an evangelizing renovation for the English and Spanish ministries. The parish evangelizes through different experiences of retreats, promoting ecclesial based communities, and formation experiences.
St. Marcellinus was blessed on Easter Sunday 2013 with the appointment of Fr. Gilbert Cruz as Sacramental Priest, with residence in St. Marcellinus. Deacon José de Jesús Benavides was ordained in June 2015 for our parish.
Today, St. Marcellinus is a very alive parish community which strives to bring Christ’s love to our little corner of Los Angeles.
St. Marcellinus is a very spirited community, very active, blessed with founder members, new people, and friends who wish to know, love and serve our Lord Jesus Christ. We accept everyone and wish to help them in their spiritual journey to get closer to God and to all those around them.